We have a new table!

We recently acquired a new child-sized table and chair.

It’s the perfect size for little ones to stand at.

It is quite comfortable to sit on.

It is also extra fun to dangle you feet off the side and enjoy a nice beverage.

Yet it is easy to walk away from.

Even daddy’s can use it!

Here’s one more image just because we couldn’t resist sharing it.

How to have a Children’s Tea Party

We recently hosted a tea party for some friends and family.  We did a little prep work and came up with the following party decor.  Check it out!

This is a handmade sign, created with fabric scraps, a sharpie and some Elmers glue by one of the party-goers.

Fresh flowers and mismatched teacups are crucial for an elegant tea party.

The triangle banners were crafted with double-sided scrapbook paper, a hot glue gun, and ribbon.  The triangles were cut in varying sizes and then hot glued to the ribbon.

The fabric backdrop was created from old sheets.  We cut 4-5 sheets into long strips and tied them all to one long strip.

Antique doilies made everything on our picnic table look extra fancy.

Super fancy-looking peanut butter crackers.

Mike-and-ike’s added elegance to our plain white cake.

Every tea party needs a chic teapot.

Oh fancy gloves!

The picnic table has never looked so luxurious.

Oh and you can’t forget the chandelier.

Teddy was number 1 on the guest list.

All of our guests came dressed to impress…even the boys.

The tea party was a huge success!

We would love to photograph your next big event!  Contact us for more info!

Tissue Paper Flowers

We recently stumbled upon this interesting DIY blog post on Pinterest.

We decided to give this project a shot minus the giant flower stems.

This is what happened…

We gathered spring inspired tissue paper.

We cut out three different sizes for our petals.  Four sheets of tissue paper for each size.

We then gathered up the small petals like so.

Then, we added the medium-sized petals and finally the large petals.

As we added the petals, we consistently twisted the bottoms to make a stem.

Using tan tissue paper, we cut a few sheets in a circle and crumbled the edges to add depth.

Using Elmers glue, we attached the flower center and dry moss to the tissue paper flower.

The finished project.

Framed Chalkboard Photography Prop

 February Prop Project: Chalkboard Picture Frames

This months DIY prop project earned us some photo perfect chalkboards.  These chalkboards can be used to display any message from a child’s age to a family name.

Here’s how we did it…

Supplies Needed:

First, we did a little consignment shopping and found these interesting frames.

Second, we removed the glass and artwork from the frames.  We discarded everything but the backing, which we will need later.

Next, we applied 2 coats of a semi-gloss paint to each frame.

While the frames were drying, we used the backing as a size guide…

to score and cut a piece of cardboard.

Using the measured cardboard, we cut a piece of Dry Erase contact paper large enough to overlap each side of the cardboard.

Now comes the hard part: attaching the contact paper to the cardboard.

Make sure you do this slowly to ensure no creases!

Next, we wrapped the contact paper around the back of the cardboard and taped it down.

After the frames were completely dry, we placed the chalkboard pieces in them and replaced the backings.

We decided to add a handle to our teal frame.

Using the hot glue gun, we attached the ribbon to the back of the frame.

To make the back more visually appealing and to add more stability to the handle, we used fancy duct tape to cover our hot glue mess.

Here are our new Framed Chalkboards in action!

Miss Ellie requested her age, name, and a flower for the teal chalkboards photo debut.

Jack decided to write his own chalkboard message, "Jack is Awesome 6 1/2"

Clearly, Jack is Awesome!

Ellie designed this chalkboard with her signature and a chocolate chip cookie

Thanks for reading.  Don’t forget to check out next month’s prop project!

January Prop Project: Wooden crate

We are always in search of interesting new props for our photo sessions.  Recently, we spotted some wooden crates that had been painted to look sort of rustic.  The crates were being used in Newborn sessions.  Amazingly, we just happened to have a spare unpainted wooden crate lying around.  Viola!  Just like that, inspiration was born!  We were going to make our own version.

Here’s what we did…

Before we start, it should be noted the following images are of two different crates that were completed using the exact same process.

First, the wooden crate had to be sanded.  This was a very important and time consuming step.  We didn’t want uneven surfaces to snag our baby.

 After sanding, we painted the crate brown using 2 coats of a semi-gloss paint.

Once the brown paint had thoroughly dried, we haphazardly painted the box with a red semi-gloss paint.  The key here was to lightly brush the paint on, while at the same time allowing for some more concentrated brush strokes occasionally.

When the red paint had dried, it seemed we needed to tone down the red a little.  We used a mixture of water and brown paint to lightly glaze the entire crate.  Almost immediately after applying the “glaze”, we lightly wiped it off with paper towel, leaving just a tint of brown on top of the red.

After the crate was completly dry, we put a baby in it!

Baby Matthew Burke really seemed to enjoy it.